26 September, 2009

New Yorkers patriotism rocking

Is it something in the air today?
Well, I did smell fall outside, for the first time this year.
But what I was referring to was the aggression that I saw, or rather heard, around the city today. When I entered the subway a lady in her 80's or maybe 70's was yelling loudly at what seemed to be her husband while they were rushing by (in old people speed), then around Union square I almost walked right into a couple that stood in the street fighting. Of course there was also the usual snappy remarks that New Yorkers are well known for and later on when I was on my way back home a guy passed me while cursing someone out over the phone.
Maybe not abnormally much in a city where you encounter so many people every day but to me it still seemed out of the ordinary.
Union square yesterday:



At first I was wondering how the studying could forth go without involving social services and take care of the kids, until I remembered...it's legal in this country! You're not allowed to hit anybody unless it's a kid, that you're responsible for. Shivers down my back. I sometimes ask myself why I live in this country that fails its own people. Low minimum wage, racist tendencies, around 50 million without decent healthcare, but that's not important as long as we defend the right to bear arms and beat our kids.

Ok ok, there's a lot of positive things in this country as well. But as a teacher of mine once taught us; real patriotism is not just nodding and agreeing with everything, patriotism is to question, so you can improve, to make sure your country stays, or becomes, the best place in the world, then there's something you can really be proud over.

From one subject to another... Except aggressive New Yorkers (or tourists, who knows) and a little bit upset over certain things in this country I'm in a tremendous mood this sunny but cold Saturday =)
I've been up and about for three days now. Even though lungs still hurt and I'm still coughing it's a start...baby steps. My goal is to take a class on Monday. Or depending on how you see it: my goal is to NOT take a class until Monday. I want to, but really don't think I should until then. Taking walks and having lunch with friends has been a nice start. Just that has actually made me exhausted ...wow, I feel so out of shape, it's terrible. I've also, with the help of friends, finally got some important paper work done, which feels awesome. Both to have good friends, thanks girls!, and getting boring paperwork over with.

On that note I'm now going to relax in the couch for a while, or maybe in my new rocking chair!

No comments: