19 March, 2008

Slaves today

I've been thinking about something lately… I read my friend's friend's blog where she is, understandably, upset about how she has been called a “nigger”. It is very upsetting and uncomfortable to get proofs that there are still racists out there, which sadly however is not news. But this is not about that. This is about the question that was raised in my head, now when we're dealing with a choice between a white woman and a black man running for president. What if it was about being called a derogatory term, not for being black, but for being a woman?

To be racist is one of the worst things ever and I would not surround myself with people that don't think likewise. But would people be as upset if it was about a woman being called a “bitch”? Would people raise their voices? Would people be as careful about not being called sexist as they are about not being called racist?

You can argue that there's an awful history as a background for black people. But I asked myself, haven't women been slaves, just for being women? Truth is they have. And for longer than black men. They've been beaten. Murdered. Used as slaves in their homes. Used sexually. They're still being sold as sex slaves. It's still going on in the world today.

Still I doubt that it would rise as loud voices, as powerful protests, when a woman is being called a derogatory term. To be treated anything less than an equal human being is never, never, never acceptable. No matter whom you are.