23 June, 2008

Swedish Sweden

This weekend that just passed was the Swedish holiday Midsummer. If you haven't encountered it before here's a short description:

We make a big phallic symbol out of grass, which we raise into the the ground. Then we dance like frogs around it. This is a family event, we bring food and have a picnic. It's also an excuse to get drunk. (We always need one.)


A thought about being a Swede, and being amongst them, at parties:

I haven't been living in Sweden for about five years. So I'm slowly starting to forget certain things... like why was it that I didn't like big crowds of Swedes again?? I was actually looking forward to Midsummer this year, to see some countrymen, yay.
The picnic was really nice in the evening sun in Battery Park. Lots and lots of Swedish people on blankets, eating, drinking, talking.
We got invited to some house party after this.
Sure, friends of my friends, must be fun!
So there we were, in this nice apartment with mostly Swedish people.
Then it slowly came back to me....how Swedes can be....
I'm aware that I'm being very general here, feel free to object.
I'm sure they all are very nice people....but when together they fall back into Swedish behaviour. It's hard to explain but...I'll try.
They stand in clicks. Talking to those they already know.
I don't really get the point of throwing a party if you are totally uninterested in getting to know new people.
You try to talk to the Swedes, and they shrug their shoulders without a smile.
It could be shyness. This is a common excuse. So then to make up for this shyness....you don't really want to admit that you have this Swedish characteristic, do you, you have to act like it's really because you're so...cool?
Ok to give you an example: They had a pool table. Some guys started playing pool, and did most of the night. My friend wanted to join. That didn't seem like a good idea. They said...hmmm...I dunno...Are you any good then?
It's a party.
Where people are suppose to have fun. (I thought)
Does it really matter if you're good or not??

This is just small things but all together it becomes a pattern of behaviour that I recognize to well from Sweden.
Sometimes, I remember back from Sweden, there were sometimes almost an obsession with not getting across new people. If I would throw a birthday party I could get comments like: No, you can't invite those people to the same party, they hang out in different crowds!
I just love to talk to new people...and so does most of the Swedes I know too. But that's when you meet them one on one. Or in a different enviroment. But together in a group under very Swedish circumstances...well let's just say, it wouldn't be my favourite place to bring my american friends, or any non-Swedish friend, I'm worried they would feel very lonely.

Of course, there are always exceptions!! As well as at the party I was at. But generally, it's a pattern of different social codes, wich even the nicest people fall into. So do I. Sadly. But I'm trying to be aware so I could choose how I want to behave more. Not just being raised by the surrounding expectations, which can also be good to a certain extent.

4 comments:

kakan said...

oh yes....it's so sad, but so true. that's one of the reasons that I miss NewYork so much....the openness.

Anonymous said...

Well, hello. Don't know how I ended up on your blog, and even now considering posting to it. But here I am and I just can't help myself but needing to add a little something to your thoughts on Swedischness. I have now been back in Sweden for 5 years, the same amount of time that I spent in the US the last time (well, I have about a total of 6 years in the US). No one ever speaks of the culture chock going back. Far worse than any I've ever experienced travelling. I am happy being back in Sweden, living among Swedes. I have aclimaticed fairly well, I even like the swedisch me. And I miss the american me.

Anyway, I found your description of swedes-in-a-group so typical, and fit well with the fruit analogy that I often used to describe the difference between swedes and americans.

"Swedes are like coconuts and americans are like peaches."

When you accounter a coconut, it doesn't impress much, it might be intriguing, but otherwise pretty boring looking, rough, and REALLY hard to get into. But once you crack them open, they are all sweet and you got yourself a friend! Americans, on the otherhand, being like peaches, very approachable, are all sweet and easy to bite into, you feel welcome among americans and it is fun. But to get yourself a real friend, and to really get to know the person, you too need to crack a shell, and the pit of a peach is no vaccation. :)

It sounded like you spent your Midsummer amoung many coconuts.

Much love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi i am going to sweden for work, can you share some information about swedish behaviour

akashdeep rathod
india

Sofia said...

Swedish behaviour...
well I guess it's harder for me being swedish myself, to see what's worth mentioning.
It's also a little bit of differences depending on where in Sweden you're going. Generally I would like to mention one important thing though: Swedish people can seem very cold and unfriendly. Not because they are, but because they respect other people's personal space a lot. They don't offer you help, because they're afraid that might be taken as they're thinking you are incompetent. So if you want help with anything you have to ask for it.

Here in NYC, if you stand with a map looking confused, people come up to you to ask you if you need directions. In Sweden, generally, you would have to walk up to someone to ask them. And then they might look scared because a lot of people are shy. ;)

You might feel lonely in the beginning because as Lisa mentioned, it takes time to get to know a swedish person, and it takes long before they're considering you as a friend, but once they do they're usually very caring!

If you're going to a University they're usually more open and friendly.

After all swedish people are pretty well travelled and/or fascinated with other countries, so they'll probably be curios about you.

I recommend to look up couchsurfing.com to see if they have a group in the city you're going to, and they'll probably be glad to show you what's to do and see around there.

Feel free to ask me any questions.