11 January, 2009

Grocerys

This weekend I went grocery shopping. I just love the feeling of having a full fridge, full freezer and a soon exploding cabinet in the kitchen =) To be able to cook tasty healthy food whenever I feel like it is such a luxuary.
I live in Manhattan and to shop at the supermarket just across the street is too expensive. So I do my shopping at Wholefoods. When I tell people that they usually get shocked and whine about how expensive wholefoods is. That's not true. If you go in to whole foods and see all the imported special fine foods, yes of course it's more expensive with the cypriotic halloumi cheese than it would be to buy a block of cheddar cheese at your supermarket. But I know for a fact that simple things like pasta is cheaper than on the "regular" supermarkets in the city. Also I'm a big fan of organic food; it usually tastes better, no bitter after tastes and the fruit is not as sticky and doesn't itch on me like some non-organic do.
For example, the organic version of canned tomatoes are cheaper at wholefoods than the regular ones at my next door supermarket. But then wholefoods also have a regular version that's even cheaper. Just an example. The reason I'm writing about this is not product placement ;)
You see, I'm allergic to a lot of things. So I'm forced to read at ingridents labels. I've learned a lot from that. It made me aware of so many things, to figure out what all those strange words and different number combinations actually means. As an example; colorings that are forbidden to be used in paint in Sweden, because they're proven to cause cancer if inhaled, are allowed to be used in candy for kids. (!) It used to be prohibited in food in Sweden but when we joined the European Union we allowed it again.
When I tried to shop at Trader Joe's (supposingly cheap food chain) I noticed that I couldn't eat half the food. Not much worse than any other supermarket though. The difference from Whole foods however is enormous. In most of whole foods products, there's not much more in the food than what needs to be. I've found more different things I can eat at wholefoods than at all the other supermarkets in NYC put together! Sure, sometimes when I'm in there I get tempted to try some of the more expensive food but if I want to go cheap I can, with products that usually doesn't have any unnecessary colorings or bi products in it.

No comments: